The 2020 NMSU-HHMI Research Scholars Program Application Period is Now Open- Application Deadline is November 1, 2019.
Consider also applying to the following Undergraduate Research Programs at NMSU:
- AMP (New Mexico Alliance for Minority Participation) Undergraduate Research Scholars Program. AMP Presentation
- MARC (Maximizing Access to Research Careers). Brochure
- Discovery Scholars Program
- Undergraduate Research Scholars Program (URS)
What is the Research Scholars Program?
The Research Scholars program is designed to help NMSU’s undergraduates become competitive applicants to the top graduate professional programs in the country. Students entering their junior year with a genuine interest in research are recruited into the program. Research Scholars are matched with a faculty mentor who assists them in developing a research project. Participants work 10 hours/week in the lab of their mentor, attend research seminars, participate in cohort meetings, and participate in program-sponsored events. During the summer following their junior year, scholars participate in an intensive, full-time summer experience to collect the necessary data for a senior thesis. In the fall of their senior year, students enroll in a 3 credit writing course that helps them write a thesis on their research project.
Examples of What Research Scholars Do
- Theses 2007-2019
- Research Scholar Awards and Accomplishments
- EXROP (Exceptional Research Opportunities Program), by faculty nomination only- discontinued as of fall 2018
- Research Scholars Publications 2007-2019
- Scholars Presentations 2007-2019
Research Scholars Travel Grant Opportunities
How To Create a Poster-Video and Power-Point
All Research Scholars are required to take the following safety classes before being allowed working in their mentors lab:
- Employee Safety
- Lab Standard (prerequisite HazCom)
- Blood Borne Pathogens (when working with infectious agents, human blood, body fluids or tissues in your laboratory).
- Any safety class required in addition by your research mentor, http://www.nmsu.edu/safety/
- Annual Safety Refresher Training (once a year in the fall semester after initial training has been completed).